Dimpy Bhalotia (born 1987) is an award-winning women street photographer based out of London and Bombay. Coming from a lineage of artisans, she completed her schooling from Bombay and moved to London in 2005 and graduated in BA (Hons) Fashion Design Technology: Womenswear from London College of Fashion, University of the Arts London.
Her work has received widespread acclaim and won her over 27 prestigious awards globally, including to be the first Indian to win the Grand Prize Award, IPPAWARDS 2020, for her photograph "Flying Boys". Apple CEO Tim Cook called the results of this competition "extraordinary" and applauded the photographers' "outstanding work" on twitter. According to L'Officiel, "Flying Boys is now the most famous photograph." She also won the Female in Focus Award from the British Journal of Photography. Fiona Shields the head of photography at The Guardian, in her tweet congratulated the winners.
Dimpy's work is a celebration of voices behind some of the most groundbreaking and innovative photographic work of our time. Dimpy's work has been housed in world's finest galleries, and she is renowned for her powerful pioneering photographs. She has been named one of the 12 top UK woman photographers to follow 2022, 21 most influential female photographers 2022, 31 Most Influential Street Photographer 2022, 32 famous street photographers 2021 and Best Street Photographer of 2019. International publications from Washington Post, Forbes, The Guardian, Adobe, L'officiel, National Geographic, BBC News, GQ Magazine, The Telegraph, The National, Cult of Mac, Economic Times, NPR and many more have published and featured her work.
Dimpy's photographs have influenced significantly on the evolution of mobile street photography. She is the first and foremost women photographer to pioneer street photography with mobile phones. She began photographing with a Samsung SGH-D500 in 2006, Nokia N95 in 2007 and then to the iPhone 4 and 5s. She uses Leica cameras, iPhone and Nikon film cameras for commissioned work. She has been a huge inspiration in the photography industry and is widely known for her unique perspective and originality in her photographs. Dimpy has created powerful photographs that continues to captivate, educate, and inspire current and future generations.
She is on the judging panel for The One Club of Creativity - Young Ones 2023, Art Directors Club of New York Awards 2021, Italian Street Photo Festival 2022, MPA Awards 2020, Zeaous Co 2022, ADC 101st Annual Awards Members' Choice Award 2022 and Fa! Foto Awards 2020 & 2021 photography awards. Her work has been exhibited in over 9 countries and she is taking her photography towards casting the living elements in her photographs into life-size sculptures and installations. She is a member of The One Club of Creativity, National Geographic Your Shot, Diversify Photo and Women Street Photographers.
She is the founder and producer of Light Wanderers Production House. Where bespoke iconic photographs and videos are created for clients worldwide. She is also the founder and curator of 'Pure Street Photography' a very well known global street photography organisation. The organisation's goal is to support photographers all over the world and to celebrate their achievements by recognising, sharing, and presenting compelling photographs to an international audience.
Having worked in the fashion industry for many years with renowned designers in Europe, she found her love in Street Photography. She finds art in the extraordinary details of the seemingly ordinary life on streets. She believes the universe is a piece of art and so is every soul. It is this inspiration that makes photography her 'fitoor' (passionate obsession). She travels the world cutting across hills, deserts and seas photographing to capture natural predilection for unpredictable, larger-than-life movements lending visual and emotional excitement in her photographs.
To her, street photography is her visual lexicon, which has no smokescreen. It's the utmost truth of what is happening around us that she loves photographing with staggering intellect in black and white, which is the most de-cluttered version of her world. She strives to make that state of mind magnetic for her viewers and to appreciate their lived experience and spread the message of hope, love, energy and freedom through her photographs.
- Dimpy's energetic photographs were used in the book cover for the novel Djinn Patrol on the Purple Line by Deepa Anappara. Published by Penguin Random House UK.
- #ICPConcerned: Global Images for Global Crisis. The book presents photographs showing daily life in the midst of the global pandemic. Exhibition was at The International Centre of Photography, New York.
- Women Street Photographers. Munich; London; New York: Prestel, 2021.
Exhibited at -
- British Journal of Photography - London, England - Oct to Nov 22'
- International Centre of Photography - New York, USA - 20' to 21'
- Billboard Exhibition - Los Angeles, USA - April 21'
- Berlin Foto Exhibition - BarTur Photo Awards - Berlin, Germany - August 21'
- At Unesco Heritage, Logo Photo Fest - Alpago, Italy - July 21'
- Posters on the Streets of New York (8 locations in Manhattan & Brooklyn) - August 20'
- Venice Fashion Week - Venice, Italy - October 20'
- The State Historical Museum of the Southern Urals - Chelyabinsk, Russia - August 20'
- Treviso Photographic Festival - Treviso, Italy - September 20'
- Kolga Awards - Virtual Exhibition - 20'
- Format Festival - Virtual Exhibition - 20'
- Indian Photo Festival - Hyderabad, India - 20'
- Flickr Headquarters - San Francisco, USA - 19'
- Berlin Photo Week - Berlin, Germany - 19'
- El Barrio Art Space PS109 - New York, USA - December 19'
- Photo Box Exhibition - London, UK - 19'
- Italian Street Photo Festival - Rome, Italy - 19'
- PHOS Sofia Photo Festival - Sofia, Bulgaria - 19'
- San Francisco Street Festival - San Francisco, USA - 19'
- Documenting Humanity - New York, USA - 19'
- Montage - Calcutta, India - 19'
- Retro Kolkata - Calcutta, India -19'
- Foto Art Festival - Poland - October 19'
- BSP Festival - Brussel - November 19'
- Toshiba Exhibition - Dubai, UAE - 18'
"Remember me for my photographs" - Dimpy Bhalotia
"Everything in our universe is energy,frequency and vibration. Every photograph emits an energy. My photographs emit energy of love, hope and freedom" - Dimpy Bhalotia